Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Revelations, Adventurers, and Half Full Bottles of Guiness

"Who has not in his great grief felt a longing to look upon the outward features of the universal Mother; to lie on the mountains and watch the clouds drive across the sky and hear the rollers break in thunder on the shore, to let his poor struggling life mingle for a while in her life; to feel the slow beat of her eternal heart, and to forget his woes . . ."
-Allan Quartermain

When looking through the tinted glass of one of my many in-progress Guinesses, I see a possible metaphor for my world. The bland animal in me wants to go simple with light and dark, good and evil, life and death. But the poet in me has much more to say.
The bottle is half full (optimism) of the tasty black liquid, which has become such a constant in my life I damn near depend on it for sanity. Its a life force. But that also means the bottle is half-empty (pessimism, but you knew that already) which makes me think of the emptiness in my life. I crave adventure, danger, retribution, high speed winds, fresh powder, good poetry, a finished(fully composed) song that isn't crap, love, romance (especially), and I feel trapped inside a half empty bottle slowly sucking away at the dregs of dark wheat-fermentation that flood the bottom and expecting buried treasure when I meet the glass.
My revelation is to get out of this glass cage. No, not to stop drinking, wrong metaphor. I enjoy the comradery that comes with drinking. Honestly, I think the boys and I are so high strung and angry with everything at this point in our lives that alcohol helps us feel normal, or feel like we did when we were 7. It gives us the high we got out of playing in the sandbox or nap time in kindergarten.How am I doing Ithil, am I on track?
No, my revelation today is to get out of here. To get out my safety net. I want to discover whats missing from my life, or perhaps have it thrust in my face that I have everything I need.
Who knows. I'm a person who works things out on the move, on the road, or even a casual walk to 7-11, (Those are especially good for long distance calls, don't ask why...or do). I feel un-threatened here, at the Rising Sun, by the safety net, though it may strangle me in my sleep. I need an adventure. This is my solemn promise that one day, soon, or even if I have to wait until I toss my graduation cap...that I will get out in the world, I will leave my safety net behind, get my hands dirtier with more than just grime, and I will break the glass bottle that binds me.

"Old tigers, sensing their end are at their most fierce."

I Am Jack's Inner Allan Quatermain

No comments: